August 24, 2018

During this year’s central bankers’ Jackson Hole meetings, will there finally be a seminar on conditional probabilities?

Sir, you write “The global economy and financial markets remain relatively benign, but the political environment in which central banks once operated has changed, perhaps for ever” “The tricky politics of being a central banker” August 24.

Indeed, but all is not that tricky for central bankers and their financial sector regulation colleagues. Just think of how they have all been able to progress, for soon thirty years, Basel I 1988, without any knowledge about conditional probabilities. 

Imagine, even after a 2007-08 crisis, caused 100% by assets that had extremely low capital requirements, only because these assets were perceived as extremely safe, and they have not yet been called out on that.

If I were to be invited, I would again ask them: Why do you believe that what’s perceived risky is more dangerous to our bank system than what’s perceived safe, have you never heard of conditional probabilities? But of course I am not invited.

Sir, again I will invest some hope that a “Without fear and without favor” FT journalist dares to asks that question. I must confess though that investment will be quite small, as I want to avoid having to be so disillusioned again.


@PerKurowski