November 12, 2008

At least listen to the Joker before giving more powers to the schemers

Sir, Richard Thaler and Cass Sunstein in “Human frailty caused this crisis”, November 12, hold that “regulators need to help people manage complexity and temptations” but ignore the frailty of the regulators and the dangers of all their regulatory temptations.

I can hear now the free market answering a confounded citizen by describing the bank regulators with the same words the Joker used in the movie The Dark Knight, 2008. “You know, they're schemers. Schemers trying to control their worlds. I'm not a schemer. I try to show the schemers how pathetic their attempts to control things really are. So, when I say that … was nothing personal, you know that I'm telling the truth. It's the schemers that put you where you are. I just did what I do best. I took your little plan and I turned it on itself. Look what I did to this city with a few…” collateralized debt obligations.

When I think of a small group of bureaucratic finance nerds in Basel thinking themselves capable of exorcizing risks out of banking, for ever, by cooking up a formula of minimum capital requirements for banks based on some vaguely defined risks of default; and thereafter creating a risk information oligopoly by empowering the credit rating agencies and which was all doomed, sooner or later, to guide the world over a precipice of systemic risks; like what happened with the lousily awarded mortgages to the subprime sector, I cannot but feel deep concern when I hear about giving even more advanced powers to the schemers.