September 21, 2015

FT, can you help me understand the practical significance of different internal carbon prices?

Sir, Pilita Clark reports that Spain’s Inditex fashion group, owner of the Zara brand, says it has a US$30 a ton internal carbon price even though EU benchmark carbon process are around $US9. “Companies accelerate carbon pricing” September 21.

I have no idea whether those prices are high or low so it would be interesting reading what Zara will not be doing with a price of US$30 compared to what it would be doing if the price was $US9.

I ask, because when I announced to my family we will from now on be using an internal carbon price of $US60, twice that of Zara’s, my kids were properly impressed, “Way to go dad!" But then they came back and asked me what that meant for them… and I don’t have a clue… and I hope I don’t have to scrap my outdoor grill now either. 

@PerKurowski