December 27, 2008

The Supreme Court should order Obama to stop quitting smoking

Sir I could not agree more with the general tone of Christopher Caldwell’s “No smoke without ire” December 27.

I was a smoker and it took me years to break my habit, or at least not give in to it more, but during my quitting time of about two years, and to the extent that I was unable to write any cohesive ideas on paper, I was an impaired person.

In this respect to think of the president of the most powerful country of the world, in these extremely difficult times, impairing himself just to set an example is about the worst example he could give his country.

Maybe the Supreme Court in exercising their checks and balances should order Obama to smoke a number of cigarettes a day while his presidency last. Or is this an issue for Congress?

Obama will be risking his life. In the line of duty? As a Commander in Chief? You’ve got to be joking!