September 20, 2007

And who pays me?

Sir I deeply appreciated John Gapper’s “Microsoft problem is close to home” September 20 and where he so valiantly gives voice to the for us layman unthinkable possibility that what has been slowing our computers down is not necessarily bad hardware or virus but Señor Windows himself.

Although I confess still being a bit dizzy, if this was to be right, does Gapper think that I could address the European Commission and ask them to share with me some of the money they collected from Microsoft as a partial reimbursement for all my down time?

Alternatively, since Neelie Kroes, the competition commissioner is caught confessing that he “would like Window’s market share to fall from more than 90 percent to nearer 50 percent” and we can safely assume that he assumes this lack of competition lies at the heart of the problem… would it be better for me to sue the Commission instead for not doing their trust-busting job right?

Do we need a product responsibility and liability legislation that is proportional to the market share? At least in those cases were the society itself by awarding intellectual property rights and investing money in their defences creates some of the possible reasons for a high market share?